charcoal sketch and a digital experiment

Charcoal sketch with digital colour 1, A5

I did a charcoal sketch of this view down to the harbour at Sennen and then played with adding colour in Photoshop to make it moodier.

And moodier ......




The original sketch in willow charcoal, carbon pencil, brush pen and biro

It would be interesting to do a large charcoal sketch over watercolour washes to get the same moody feel but work more on the light contrasts.  I have to do some work for an upcoming pastel exhibition - could be one to do?   (charcoal and cp and some use of other media are acceptable for this - they aren't narrow minded),

Comments

Robyn Sinclair said…
I've been thinking a lot lately about combining watercolour and charcoal. It's probably your influence, Vivien. My favourite of the colour versions of this drawing is the first one but I love the original sketch too.
vivien said…
I'd like to see what you do with it - maybe a bit too moody for summer in Italy or the trip to Provence - but evenings? could be good for evening sketching :>)
Unknown said…
Very nice moody sketch, Vivien. I've been flirting with charcoal recently and absolutely love it. I tried watercolour with it too but initial results were muddy and so I need to play with that a bit more.
annie said…
Enchanting moody skies...I love them all, Vivien, but the first one with a bit of color may be my favorite. Every time I look at paintings my enthusiasm seems to switch back and forth as I notice more and more interesting things in each.
annie
Billie Crain said…
Love the original sketch. The second version looks a bit dreary, the first is much more exciting. I think somewhere between the two would be perfection. Maybe the yellow/gold on the horizon with a few gold reflections(?)in the foreground would be a fair compromise. Just my 2¢....
vivien said…
Michael you need to fix it well before adding the watercolour - and you'll get little speckles in the paint surface that way, but it can be interesting.

Or slosh the colour on first and then draw into it when it's dry.

I wouldn't copy them exactly and would adjust, possibly as you suggest Billie - you are right. I do like the idea of experimenting with one where it is darker though but with some flashes of colour from the sunset left. I like to hear your 2c worth :>)

Annie thank you :>)
Anita said…
I love all three - such amazing mood differences.

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

paint or sketch trees: challenge